Saturday, December 31, 2011

How to Obtain a Canadian Visa for Study

By: Carrie Oakley
If you are interested in studying abroad at a Canadian university, college or trade school, you must first obtain a study permit (or temporary resident visa). Please be advised that you must be 18 years or older to apply for and attend a Canadian university, college or trade school.

To obtain a Canadian visa for study, you must show that you have been accepted as an international student at an approved institution. To be accepted at a Canadian university, college or trade school, you must first apply and provide all necessary paperwork and admission test scores. Once you have completed the institution’s application process, your application will be reviewed and either accepted or rejected. The institution will contact you to notify you of your status.

When applying for a temporary resident visa in Canada, you will be asked to provide evidence that you have the sufficient funds to pay for tuition and other living expenses. You will also be asked to state your intentions to return home once you have completed your studies.

Canada is currently working on extending the validity dates of study permits. However, study permits usually expire after one year, and they must be renewed before they expire. There is a $125 fee when you apply for a study permit.

In addition to providing proof of acceptance to an institution and proof that you can pay tuition, you must also be free of a criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate to prove this. You also must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.

Upon completion of at least six months of continuous full-time studies in Canada, you may become eligible to apply for a work permit that will allow you to work part-time off-campus.

When you apply for a study permit, you will also need to show your passport and provide the office with two photos of yourself with your name and birthdate written on the back.

For more information about obtaining a study permit in Canada, click here

Carrie Oakley is editor and writer of a Canada based online journal, focusing education and career planning

No comments:

Post a Comment