Sunday, June 23, 2013

Nine tourists shot at Nanga Parbat base camp in Diamer

Ambulances carrying the dead bodies of tourists heading
to PIMS hospital, Islamabad.
Gilgit: Gunmen have killed 11 people, including nine foreign tourists after storming a tourist camps at the base camp of Nanga Parbat, the world’s ninth highest mountain, in Gilgit Baltistan.

According to the source, 3 Chinese, 5 Ukraine, one nepali, one American of Chinese origin, one Russian and 2 Pakistani nationals have been died in the incident, but Interior Minister Chaudheri Nisar has confirmed only 4 victim being identified as two Chinese, one Nepalese and one Chinese American national. Remaining 6 bodied could not be identifies so far.

Meanwhile, all dead bodies have been shifted to Islamabad where medico legal formalities are taken at PIMS hospital. The spokesman of PIMS has said that all the dead bodies are in stable condition and recognizable.

It is the first such attack on tourists in the region. The Pakistani Taliban has accepted responsibility of the attack.A spokesman for Tehrik-e-Taliban said the attack was in retaliation for the killing of its second-in-command, Waliur Rehman, who died in a suspected US drone strike in May.

The group said it would continue to target foreigners.



The died bodies were carried to Gilgit in Army Helicopters
and later shifted to Islamabad in C-13 
  Part of the Himalayan Range, Nanga Parbat, standing at 8,126m (26,660ft), is popular with trekkers and mountaineers, especially during June and July.

The assault is seen as a significant blow for Pakistan's already struggling tourist industry, foreign media interprets the prevailing situation after the incident.

The region, where Nanga Parbat is situated, is well known for the safe terrorist sanctuaries.


In recent years, the region has suffered a spate of attacks by militants targeting Pakistan's Shia Muslim minority. Three such attacks in Kohistan area of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and Chilas, left as many as 70 Shia Muslims in 2012.

Some 51 climbers from 48 countries were currently on the expedition at Nanga Parbat. Among them, 40 had already climbed on the mountain, and remaining 11 were still in base camp.

A picture of base camp of the Killer Mountain 
Up to 20 attackers, reportedly dressed in the uniforms of Gilgit Scouts, stormed the camps in the foothills of Nanga Parbat shortly after midnight.

The gunmen tied up local Pakistani staff and told them not to attempt to raise the alarm until morning, local official said.

The attackers allegedly took the foreigners' money and passports before shooting them.

Meanwhile, Chaudhary Nisar, Federal Interior Minister, has suspended the Inspector General of Police and Chief Secretary, for poor security arrangement in the area during the peak trakking and tourism season. He made the announcement today while addressing the national assembly.

He said that the security lapse will be investigated and the causes will be found out.







1 comment: