According to a government notification, a committee constituted in December last year submitted its recommendations stating the appointments were illegal. Most of the sacked teachers belonged to Gilgit city. The issue was also repeatedly raised by politicians, urging the government to take action.
Sajjadul Haq, a spokesman at the chief minister secretariat, said on Saturday the decision to take action was taken in light of recommendations made by the committee. “The committee was formed by the education minister himself after reports of illegal appointments surfaced,” he reiterated.
Those who have been sacked said they will challenge the decision in courts. “We were being paid in the past, but our salaries have been blocked for the last six months,” said one teacher.
The Gilgit-Baltistan region was engulfed by news of illegal appointments in Education Department, Works Department, Food and Agriculture Department and several other key departments of the GB administration. There were rumours that officials of the Education Department were charging selling jobs for 300,000 rupees each.
Responding to these allegations, the GBLA had constituted a special inquiry committee to investigate the matter. The inquiry committee had shared its findings in which former Deputy Director (Academics) and Deputy Director (Education) had been named as the senior officials responsible for illegal appointments.
According to a list of names shared with the media majority of the illegally appointed teachers were women, mostly belonging to Gilgit district.
Another list of 125 illegally appointed employees has been prepared and they will also be fired shortly, an official told the media.
Gilgit-Baltistan, the next slaughter house for merit
Sale of jobs in GB education department to be investigated
GB Government to give unlawful teaching posts the legal cover